Today, its name – Bastiglia - derives from this word for a fairly commonplace building of the times meaning "fortress”. After several vicissitudes, the town passed into the hands of the Estensi in 1384.
It then saw a period florid economic development with the construction of the Sostegno: an octagonal basin with sluice gates used to keep water levels constant in the Naviglio and the Mulino.
With its sixteen mills – the Mulino became the largest mill in the region. Traces of the "conca fluviale" can still be seen in the centre of the town in Piazza della Repubblica today.
The Museo della Civiltà contadina (Museum of Farming) is also located here and contains an important collection, illustrating life and work out on the fields.
Because of the earthquake of May 2012, the churches and the Museum in Bastiglia have been closed temporarily.
Piazza Grande, 14
41100 Modena (MO)
Tel. ++39 059-2032660
Fax ++39 059-2032659
Opening: Open troughout the year