Bologna (14 km)
The history of Castel Maggiore is closely linked to the Navile Canal, the main waterway of the Bolognese territory in the past. In the nearby Castello (1 Km.), you can admire the ruins of an ancient fort, the “Sostegno di Castagnolo Maggiore”, built in 1497 and, from the 19th century onwards, the centre of important manufacturing activities.
Cycling in the fertile plains of the surrounding areas is ideal for having a view of several historical villas, such as Villa Zarri and Villa Salina in the village of Primo Maggio, and Villa Stagni in Trebbo di Reno (5 kms). Here, in Trebbo di Reno, there is also the Church of San Giovanni Battista which contains a beautifully made altar piece from the School of Guido Reni.
Still in Trebbo, there are the very interesting floodlands of the River Reno, a perfect spot for trekking or horse riding.
COMUNE DI CASTEL MAGGIORE - UFFICIO RELAZIONI CON IL PUBBLICO
Piazza Pace - 40013
Tel. ++39 051 6386781/782/784
Fax ++39 051 715532
Open troughout the year
How to reach
Extra-urban line ATC
From the bus station of Bologna: Line 97 Bologna-S. Giorgio-S. Pietro in Casale-S.Venanzio, line 98 - Bologna-Castel Maggiore
Last update: 04/04/2013