The town has a very old history and the town hall facade is decorated with coats of arms of the IV-VI century, amongst which the coat of arms of the 'Capitani della Montagna': it depicts a wild pig in a pond and two oak branches around the animal and it has become the symbol of Vergato's municipality.
The town hall, known as 'Palazzo dei Capitani', was rebuilt after the second World War in the style of the former building, which had been designed in 1885 by the architects Tito Azzolini and Alfonso Rubbiani on the site of the older building, the ancient palace of the 'Capitani della Montagna'. The modern building has very interesting windows, which were designed in 1998 by the renown contemporary artist Luigi Ontani.
In the near village of Montecavalloro can be seen Costonzo, a series of buildings which dates back to the XIV-XVI century; Costonzo is a listed site and is among the national monuments of the province of Bologna.
It is a fine example of rural fortified architecture and is renown for having housed the headquarters of the first medical school of the Bolognese Apennines during the Middle Ages; Costonzo has been recently restored and can be visited upon request.
Other interesting Medieval buildings of the area are: the tower of Monzone (XIV century), the tower of Tole' (XIV-XV century), the 'Poggio di Susano' (XIV century), the tower of Prunarolo (XIII-XVII century) and the XVI century houses Berti and Casalino.