In this bucolic landscape there is a very important Romanesque complex: a church and a baptistery dating from the early 11th century.
In 1008 or in 1012, Oberto II founded the Benedictine monastery dedicated to St. John the Baptist with a church and with a "Hospitale", which was a hostel for pilgrims along the Via Francigena.
The ancient church of S. John the Baptist was decorated inside with frescoes dating from the XI-XII centuries. It was, from a historical and artistic point of view, an important witness to the painting of the Pianura Padana.
Unfortunately, now there are only photographic reproductions of the frescoes in the church, instead the "Battistero" fortunately still has some fragments.
Here, history, food and wine come together. In fact the origins of the buildings are very ancient: on the ruins of a roman country house a fortress was built around 1000, destroyed in 1314 and rebuilt in 1400.
The village is located along the path of “the Road of Wines and Tastes of Piacenza Hills”.
Piazza del Municipio - Loggetta dei Notari,
29014 Castell`Arquato (PC)
Tel. ++39 0523-803215
Fax ++39 0523-803215
Opening: Open troughout the year