Vai ai contenuti | Vai al campo di ricerca | Vai al menù principale

Home The Via dei Romei The Marzeno Valley

The Marzeno Valley

Modigliana - The TribuneIn more than one point along the Lamone Valley – from Brisighella to the Parish of S. Giovanni in Ottavo or at the height of Sant’Adriano – roads branch off that reach the parallel street of Marzeno, which runs along the river of the same name, made up of the tributaries of the Aceterra, the Tramazzo and the Ibola.  Despite the fact that the "Descriptio Romandiole" established the principal route of the pilgrims along the Lamone, other sources note that this route of the Marzeno could be a valid alternative.  They are in fact medieval routes that from Modigliana run towards Marradi, towards Dicomano (also in Tuscany) and towards Dovadola, in the adjoining Montone Valley.

 

At their intersection – about 20 kilometers from Faenza – the three rivers divide the historic downtown of Modigliana into three neighborhoods.

 

The town, full of bridges and history, had been an integral part of the exarchate of Ravenna since the 10th century and the homeland of the powerful Guidi family, Ghibelline nobles, who, by way of more than 200 castles, controlled a vast territory between Romagna and Tuscany.

 

At the time of the pilgrims, here there was certainly the “Roccaccia”, now in ruins, the ex Palazzo Pretorio, which faces the piazza with the same name and was commissioned by the Guidis in the 12th century, and the Cathedral, the ancient Parish Church of Santo Stefano in Juviniano of which there is now only the crypt.  Built first in the 9th century it was completely rebuilt in the 15th century. After a popular uprising, which removed the Guidi from power, in 1337, the town became a free municipal under the protection of Florence.

 

Ten kilometers or so past Modigliana, along the bottom of the Tramazzo Valley, pilgrims would have arrived in Tredozio, with a suggestive medieval aspect, which also belonged to the Guidi family starting in 1263.  Already very important at the time of the pilgrims was the parish church of S. Michele, dating back to the 12th century, which houses a crucifix painted on a panel in the Rimini School style of the 1300s.

 

Its castle (Castrum Treudacium), dating back to the 10th century, probably had a very imposing air about it since it was built with solid stone and lime walls.  Today there is nothing left of the old castle except its foundations, some underground rooms which were probably used as cisterns to collect water or as cantinas, the remains of the tower and other ruins.  In Tredozio, there was a hostel for pilgrims named after S. Antonio.

 

After the year 1000, with the ruralization of society and with the spirit of renewal and reform against the ills of the Church and the religious world in general, the valley of Modigliana and Tredozio witnessed a flourishing number of churches and convents.  First, there was the Monastery of Gamogna of S. Pier Damiani, then also the monasteries of Tredozio (1060) and Trebbana (1063).

For tourist information:
Redazione Turismo forlivese

Last modified Feb 02, 2017

Document Actions

Emilia Romagna Welcome (EN)

Previsioni Meteo

Experiences

Suggestions, ideas and activities
expositions, art, flavors and fun.