Vai ai contenuti | Vai al campo di ricerca | Vai al menù principale

Home Viva Verdi The study of Toscanini and Boito

The study of Toscanini and Boito

boito and toscanini studyThese studies are both donations which have been relocated in a wing of the Musical Conservatory which was founded by Duchess Maria Luigia as a school of music. It contains musical instruments, furniture, a part of the libraries, musical scores, works of art and a number of curios.


Both studies form part of the History Museum of the "A. Boito" Conservatory and were set up in 1984 thanks to a donation from the Barilla family.


The Toscanini study is the one which was originally found in Milan and which acquires a particular significance in its new site since it was at the music school in Parma, before it became a Conservatory, that Toscanini began his first studies in music.


Enthusiasts will find his piano, a 1934 Steinway grand, a bronze bust of Othello signed "G. Wagner, premier prix de la ville de Paris" and a bronze bust of Verdi taken from the one by V. Gemito in terracotta at Sant'Agata.


The head of the school was Arrigo Boito, a great libretto writer of Verdi's works and after whom the Conservatory is named. The upright piano in his studio was made by Schiedmeyer & Sohne of Stuttgart.


Portraits relating to Verdi can be seen in the form of a half-length engraving of Verdi and Carlo Chessa with a dedication to Boito signed by Verdi and dated 25 December 1895, and also a full-length statue of the Maestro signed by Emilio Quadrelli, 1893.

 

For information and visits:
The "A.Boito" Musical Conservatory
Strada Conservatorio, 27/a - 43100 Parma
Telephone: 0521.381911
The museum can be visited by making an appointment at:

mediateca.bibliotecario@conservatorio.pr.it

Guide to the Area

Last modified Jan 10, 2017

Document Actions

Emilia Romagna Welcome (EN)

Experiences

Suggestions, ideas and activities
expositions, art, flavors and fun.